On July 4, 1944, one of the most beautiful stories in Belo Horizonte is born. That was when the industrialist from Minas Gerais, Benjamin Ferreira Guimarães (1861/1948), his son, Antônio Mourão Guimarães, and the doctor, Baeta Vianna, created the Benjamin Guimarães Foundation (FBG), maintainer of Hospital da Baleia. The FBG is a private philanthropic institution, certified as of public utility in the Federal, State and Municipal spheres. Since it is not aimed at profit, all the money raised is used to pay for services, improvements in structure, service and expansion.
The Foundation follows the rules of the Public Ministry of the State of Minas Gerais (MPMG), which operates in the direct regulation of entities in the third sector. For more information, click
here and learn all about the role of the MPMG in foundations and entities of personal interest.
Throughout its history, the Foundation has grown and added to its activities 3 operating segments who currently work in maintaining quality care and humanized care provided by the Hospital: philanthropy in health, teaching and research and land heritage.
Philanthropy is in the Institution's DNA, reflecting the character and principles of its founder of helping others through health. Teaching was born from the need to train new doctors to meet the demands of Orthopedics, at the time, but soon expanded to training in other medical specialties, also bringing research. And the landowning heritage has become essential to preserve the fauna and flora that surround the Hospital.
FBG Practice Areas:
Organizational Identity FBG 2020/2022:
Health care and promotion.
To be a national reference in lines of care care in a sustainable way, as a Philanthropic Institution, until 2025.
Provide health services with excellence and solidarity, developing teaching and research.
Ethics, respect, competence, solidarity, commitment and professional development.
FBG Board and Board
FBG Curator Council 2019 to 2021:
- Chairman of the Curator Council of the Benjamin Guimarães Foundation / Hospital da Baleia:
- Raquel Virgínia Rocha Vilela.
- Natural Advice:
- Cláudia Mascarenhas Mourão, Júlia Guimarães Paes, Luiz Flávio Pentagna Guimarães and Tereza da Gama Guimarães Paes.
- Effective Advice:
- Delson Tolentino, Hudson Lídio de Navarro and Dr. Luiz Fernando Caetano Machado.
- Fiscal Council:
- Andréa Guimarães Misk de Faria and Cláudia Pereira Guimarães.
Board of Directors:
- Tereza da Gama Guimarães Paes
- - CEO
- Dr. Mozar de Castro Neto
- - VP Director
- Marco Aurélio Cunha de Almeida
- - administrative and financial director
- Dr. Carlos Starling
- - director of teaching and research
- Simone Maria Libânio Rocha e Silva
- - general superintendent
- Dr. Mozar de Castro Neto
- - technical superintendent
- Sidney Neves
- - hospital superintendent
- Dr. Marcos Reis
- - clinical superintendent
- Jorge Delbons
- - institutional relations advisor